- HP CodeWars is open to students in 3r. d’ESO, 4rt d’ESO, Batxillerat or Cicles Formatius de Grau Mitjà (students aged 18 are also eligible).
- A team should only have 3 students and one team sponsor.
- A team sponsor must be a representative from the school, preferably a teacher.
- All team members are required to be from the same school. Mixing of students among different schools is NOT allowed.
- Maximum of 5 teams per school is allowed.
- All the participating students and sponsor (school representative) should carry their ID cards (issued by the HP Sant Cugat Security Check) on the day of the event.
- HP reserves the right to disqualify a student/team in case they do not meet the eligibility criteria.
- Each team is responsible to get their own Laptop and Battery Charger (ONLY one PC per team is allowed) for the competition (bringing a second laptop as a backup is recommended).
- Teams are responsible to install the required software on their laptop that they intend to use during the competition, indications will be provided via the website of the event.
- Printers or other electronic devices are NOT allowed inside the venue.
- NOTE -- Cell phones and broadband network cards are NOT allowed during the competition. If you are observed using either of these during the Code Wars competition, your team is subject to immediate disqualification. If you may need to be contacted via cell phone during the competition, your phone should be left with your team sponsor and you should notify HP CodeWars staff.
Development software allowed for competition:
- Java. Suggest Java 7u51, though any recent version should be fine
- Python (version 3.3x)
- C/C++. You need an ANSI-compatible C/C++ compiler that can create a self-contained Windows command-line executable
- Teams need to solve around 20 problems in 3 hours
- Each problem carries a point value, with values increasing with problem difficulty
- The goal is to collect as many points as possible within the stipulated time (3 hours). At the end, the team with the most points wins!
- In case of draw, HP CodeWars judges will get a result (based on the team code optimization).
- Top three teams with the highest amount of points will get the awards (both individuals and school).
Competition Rules / Guidelines
- The judges' rulings are final.
- All solutions must programmatically determine the results. In other words, your
solution cannot just print out a solution to a problem that you determined by hand.
The judges will be using some different data sets for your programs at the judging
- File naming conventions for solutions must be followed.
- Your team will have a number programming tasks to choose from. You probably will not be able to solve them all, so you are advised to study them and choose your problems wisely.
- HP CodeWars utilizes a custom browser-based submission/judging/scoring system via either a hardwired network or 802.11x wireless network. Please ensure that your computer has an Ethernet port, and is wireless-capable before the event day. If you can connect to a public wireless network (e.g. the public library or Panera) and browse the Internet, you should be in good shape. Some school computers have security lockdowns that prevent wireless configuration, so please verify this before you come.
- Each team will receive a unique team login and password for the competition.
- Programs must be a standard DOS or Windows console application. No graphical user interface (GUI) programs.
- There is no limit to the number of submissions you can make to solve a given problem. However, note that in the case
of a tie score, the winners will be determined by the fewest incorrect submissions.
- Any necessary corrections to contest problems will be displayed to all competitors on your team page in the contest system, and announced in the contest room(s).
- Verify that your program works with the example input before submitting it to the judges. Don't waste your time (and the judges') submitting a bad program you could have caught with your
- Team sponsors are not allowed to be with the team during the competition.
- Additional rules, modifications, and more details will be made available to you on the day of the event.
- Kindly note that all the students have to be on time to setup their computers so that the contest begins efficiently.